Cuddeback Capture IR Trail Camera Review:
The Cuddeback Capture IR trail camera is one of two new Cuddeback models for 2008/2009. The two major differences are that the IR has and IR flash while the other model has the standard white flash and the IR model is 1.3 mega pixels (night, but 5 mp in the day) while the other is 3 mega pixels (night & day). These cameras feature top opening or flip-style lid to access the camera via a simple thumb-screw. The setting options are very minimal, making this camera extremely easy to setup. Basically, you can set the date/time and set the delay between pictures and that’s it. The camera uses a SD memory card (the manual says you cannot use SDHC, so 2 GB max). Speaking of the manual, it is very intuitive – probably the best manual we’ve seen; that combined with the minimal features make this a great camera for novice users.
We placed our Cuddeback Capture camera in the field for its initial test on March 1, 2009. One week later, we checked the memory card and it had 32 images on it. Of those 32 images, 27 had an explainable trigger - so it is tracking at 84%.
- Setup – this is an extremely easy camera to setup
- Image Quality – although not as stunning as past models, this camera still produces excellent quality, color images.
- Housing design – the housing is well built, concealing the camera well, providing easy access to the controls and memory and giving the camera some contour to blend in with trees, etc.
- Finally, someone has figured out how to make SD memory cards easy to access!
- The mounting strap is easy to use and very durable. Can be mounted just about anywhere.
- We prefer IR flash to white flash.
- Only 1.3 mega pixel images during night.
- No video option - can only capture still pictures
- No external battery options – only operates off of 4 D batteries
- Very few options – i.e., no time lapse option, can’t disable flash
|Picture Size - Day:
||5.0 Mega pixelsApprox 750 KB image file size2592 px wide x 1944 px high (72 px per inch)
|Picture Size - Night:
||1.3 Mega pixelsApprox 300 KB image file size1280 px wide x 960 px high (72 px per inch)
||4 "D" batteries
||Internal Memory - 24MBMemory Type: SD Card (up to 2 GB - not SDHC compatible)
So far the camera has only taken pictures during night mode. Once we capture a picture during the day, we will post it.
Below is a sample image taken at night. The original resolution of this image is 1280 pixels wide by 960 pixels high and about 225KB in file size. The image has been reduced in size by 35% for display here. This coyote was prowling around the remains of an unlucky deer.
Through our initial test, the Cuddeback Capture IR took 9 pictures - all were from an explanable event. Although it is tracking at 100%, this is too small of a sample size to draw a conclusion.
Here is a sample picture from the day, capturing a rooster pheasant walking by. The original resolution of this image is 2592 pixels wide by 1944pixels high and about 600KB in file size (some images were up to 1MB in size). The image has been reduced in size by 18% for display here.
Reviewer: - Nick Schwarz
Review Date: - 3/9/2009